Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Last night I had my cousin over for dinner. It had been about 20 years since I had last seen her. I just love how a good meal and a dinner table can put to rest any uneasiness. I love my family and I very much enjoyed reminiscing and catching up!
I made a wonderful Chicken Picatta, but it was a tad bit too lemon-y. But, that isn't what I wanted to tell you guys about today. Instead I wanted to share my love of bread!
BREAD...the awful, delicious, fattening (butwhogivesa), fluffy bread! If you have a good recipe and thing bread machines are the devil...stop reading now!
My problem with bread machines was finding a simple recipe that was actually soft like store bought bread. The next solution was a box mixed...How in the world can anyone justify spending $3+ on a box of bread machine mix, when you can buy a loaf - already made - for around the same cost? For me, getting a bread machine was for helping me save money, not spend the same.
The next problem was that the recipes others posted online always made very tough bread, or the recipe was too confusing. I like food to be delicious, but first and foremost, easy! if it isn't easy, who is going to make it?
So, after reading dozens of recipes and trying dozens more I finally came up with a simple, but wonderfully soft bread machine recipe. You simply must try!

White Bread for Bread Machine

1 teaspoon dry active yeast
3 tablespoons white, granulated sugar
1 cup hot water
3 cups white, all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Plug the bread machine on and set to light crust, ultra fast, 1.5lbs. DO NOT START.
Add yeast, sugar and water to the bread machine, stir slightly. Allow to sit for 6-12 minutes. This will get very foamy.
Add the flour and salt, then the oil. Press start.
Remove from machine as soon as it is finished. Allow to sit in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a cooling rack. Allow to cool before cutting.

NOTE: While the initial mixing is happing I like to scrape the sides to be sure all is well incorporated. Once nothing is sticking to the sides any longer, I leave it alone.

VARIATION:
Italian
Add 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning to the yeast/sugar/water mixture.
Add 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic and 3/4 cup shredded parmesan after the oil.

Onion Bread
Add 1/2 packet of onion dip mix and 2 teaspoons dried dill when adding flour.


I love to hear other Add Ins, if you have a suggestion let me know! Share your results.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment